Buying organic food is not easy, because there are so many brands available in the market. You, therefore, need to have the relevant knowledge to help you choose. Our article will give you invaluable tips that will help ease the process for you.
· Why Organic Foods Are the Way to Go
Many parents struggle with deciding between organic and conventional foods. You must understand the difference to make the purchasing decision easier. Conventional food is grown using specific chemicals to boost their production. Such include herbicides, pesticides, and synthetic fertilizers, among others. It, therefore, means that the food is a bit cheaper.
Organic food, on the other hand, does not allow for the use of such. The process is there for more tedious and time-consuming. It also means that the amount that goes to the market is significantly less than the conventional foods. Anyone who is selling organic food must also meet the standards of the US Department of Agriculture (USDA), which will give certification. So when you are shopping, make sure you check that it has the certification mark.
· Why Should You Buy Organic Food For Your Baby?
There are several advantages of organic baby food, and these include:
- They contain lower pesticide levels which could harm your baby’s underdeveloped immune system. You will, therefore, avoid dealing with a host of health issues such as autism, ADDH, delayed growth, among others.
- Conventional farming uses antibiotics which you will not find in organic agriculture. Some bacteria can become resistant to drugs and find their way into the baby’s food. you, therefore, minimize the possibility of encountering the bacteria if you give your baby organic food
- You will not find any GMOs, artificial flavoring, hydrogenated fats or additives in organic food
- Organic farmers and companies use environmentally friendly processes. You will be contributing to conserving the environment if you buy organic.
· Which Are The Most Dangerous Conventional Foods To Buy?
Shopping for organic baby foods can be expensive, and you may, therefore, need to incorporate some conventional foods in your shopping list. There are, however, certain foods that retain pesticides which can be very dangerous for the baby. Even if you are going to buy conventional foods, make sure you do not buy any of the following.
- Hot peppers
- Sweet bell peppers
If you need to buy any of the above, make sure you buy the organic ones. They may cost you a little bit more, but you get to avoid the pesticide residues.
· Understanding the Baby Food Stages
When you are purchasing organic baby foods, you will find that most of them come in different stages. This is what it means.
This food is typically for children between six to seven months. You have just started the weaning process, and are trying to get your baby used to regular food. You will find that the ingredients are very simple and include things like peas, apples, and bananas. Try and give the single baby ingredients each time so that you can keep an eye out for any allergies. Ideally, you should give a single ingredient and wait for two or three days before introducing another. If your baby has no problem, you can add other blends. At this point, your baby is still on formula and breast milk to supplement the stage 1 foods.
Your baby is now seven to nine months of age, and she has a feel for some food. You can start trying out different flavors and textures. Your baby will enjoy the combination of flavors, and you will find that they are eating a bit more.
Stage 3 foods have different textures, and you can now give your baby chunky food. You are also food combinations like sweet potato and meat, pumpkin and turkey or even spaghetti and cheese.
· Which Are the Best Organic Food Brands for Baby
There are many brands of organic baby food in the market, and we will explore this in greater detail in our follow-up articles. Some of the brands we recommend include:-
- Plum Organics– which is USDA certified, has tasty flavors, optimal Nutrition, and zero preservatives or artificial ingredients.
- Sprout Organic which has whole food ingredients, excellent flavors, no artificial ingredients, and BPA-free packaging
- Earth’s Bestis one of the original organic brands which comes in jars and pouches. You get over 60 flavors, optimum Nutrition, and no additives
- Gerber organic baby foods have over 50 flavors, is a trusted brand name, and uses organic farming techniques
- Happy Baby organic Foods that have probiotics, BPA-free packaging and a wide variety of flavors
- Pure Spoon organic that uses called pressure processing has USDA certification and is allergen-free
- Once Upon a Farm is kosher, uses cold pressure processing and has eco-friendly packaging
- Peter Rabbit Organics uses BPA-free packaging, has USDA certification and specializes in fruits and vegetables
- Ella’s Kitchen has USDA certification, excellent flavors, and has no thickeners or additives
- NurturMe Have Tammy friendly foods, uses no heat during pasteurization, and a wide variety of flavors
- Beechnut which uses high-pressure pasteurization, meaning there is no heat. It also comes in many different flavors.
You must have the necessary knowledge before you shop for your organic baby food. Our article above is a guide on some of the things you need to know. You also get a list of some of the brands we feel are excellent. We looked at factors such as the processes they used to preserve the food, package, variety of flavors, among others. We will explore the different brands in more detail in our follow-up articles. Keep reading!
Read more about organic food business ideas that will make a sure profit